Italy, Pompei, Temple of Isis, Regio VIII, 7

A porticoed courtyard, with stuccoed Corinthian columns, hosts the temple on a podium in its center, built at the end of the 2nd cent. BC and rebuilt in opus latericium immediately after the earthquake in 62 AD by N. Popidius Ampliatus, who gave credit for it to his son Celsinus to advance the latter's political career. The front steps lead to the pronaos, with four columns in front and two on the sides, and two side niches that held statues of Anubis and Harpokrates, Egyptian divinities related to the cult of Isis. At the back, in the wide cell, was the base for the religious statues, perhaps including the one of Isis found in the portico. Various service and worship rooms open along the portico, while the inside contains a well in the northeast corner, the purgatorium (fenced area with water basin used in purification rites), and altars. Rich sculptural, stucco and 'fourth style' painted plaster decorations abounded, detached during the excavation years (1764-1766) and now at the Naples Museum. (Soprintendenza Pompei)